Spring rolls make a gorgeous starter. And this Vietnamese Spring Rolls recipe is a super healthy way of making them. These veggie laden rolls are packed full of chopped vegetables and are bursting with flavour. They're also ideal for dinner parties - sure to impress guests. Read on for full details of how to make this tasty appetizer.
Vietnamese Spring Rolls
- Spring roll wrappers
- Eskal vermicelli noodles
- Viana seitan
- 1 sliced red pepper
- 1 sliced carrot
- ½ sliced cucumber
- Shredded purple cabbage
- Tiger prawns
For the satay sauce:
- ¼ cup Meridian smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp Meridian sesame oil
- 2 tsp Thai Gold fish sauce
- 1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 6-8 tbsps coconut milk
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tsp Thai Gold soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Thai Gold Thai red curry paste
- 5 roasted and crushed peanuts
Prepare the dipping sauce:
1. Chop the garlic and ginger very finely.
2. Add all ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. You can add more or less of the coconut milk if you wish depending on your texture preference. I like it quite smooth.
3. Roast the peanuts in the oven for 15 minutes, crush and sprinkle on top of the sauce.
Prepare the rice paper wrappers:
1. Pour warm water into a large bowl. Working with one at a time, dip the rice paper wrapper into the warm water for 15-20 seconds.
2. Immediately remove from the water and place flat onto a work surface such as a large plastic or ceramic cutting board. There will be clear directions on the packet also.
Fill the rolls:
1. Place a few sticks of carrot, cucumber, red pepper, and a sprinkle of cabbage on top (I slice my vegetables up quite thinly so I can add a variety into each paper roll).
2. Then, a small amount of noodles. Lay any other ingredients of your choice on top. Prawns and/or smoked salmon work well. Do not overstuff the roll. Start small then add more, as needed, as you roll each one.
1. Roll everything up tightly. To do so, gently fold in the two ends and then roll it up tightly like you would a burrito.
1. Dip them in the delicious creamy satay sauce. Enjoy!