Quinoa is a filling and nutritious base for salads. And today we've paired it with pomegranate for a fab, fruity feel. This delicious Quinoa Salad with Toasted Pine Nuts and Pomegranate is super healthy and easy to prepare. It's ideal for lunchtime or as an accompaniment with dinner. Tip: If you're looking to up your veggies and give the dish a more autumnal feel, kale and butternut squash go beautifully with quinoa and pomegranate!
Quinoa Salad with Toasted Pine Nuts and Pomegranate
Prep Time: 10 Mins | Cook Time: 12 Mins
- 2 cups of quinoa
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely grated or crushed
- 4 cups of boiling water
- 1 tsp of vegetable bouillon (optional)
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed (if not in season replace with dried cranberries or other fruit)
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup of spring onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of allspice powder
- ½ cup of pine nuts, lightly toasted in a pan (or replace with flaked almonds or chopped hazelnuts)
- ½ cup of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Juice of ½ - 1 lemon
1. Heat a saucepan and dry roast the quinoa and crushed garlic for 2 to 3 minutes until lightly toasted, stirring regularly.
2. Add boiling water and vegetable bouillon and cook for a further 10 to 12 minutes until the grain has separated.
3. Allow the quinoa to cool in a bowl, then add in other ingredients and mix well.
4. Serve as a side dish to accompany grilled fish or chicken or as a meal on it's own on a bed of watercress or rocket.