Clearspring's Brown Rice Miso Bolognese / Ragu Pasta Bake
The addition of miso to this autumnal family favourite lifts a simple ragu to another level. This easy mid-week recipe can be adaptedas a pasta bake, on baked potatoes or on bread or toast.
- 80g Pasta per person – Clearspring Gluten-Free Brown Rice Penne
For the bolognese / ragu
- 60g Clearspring Soya Mince – Soak and rinse as per packet instructions
- 2 tbs Clearspring Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Onion – Peeled and diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic – Peeled and chopped
- Pinch mixed herbs
- 700g Passata
- 2 heaped Tsp Clearspring Brown Rice Miso Paste
- 2 tsp Lemon juice or Clearspring Apple Cider Vinegar
- Chilli Flakes to taste - Optional
- Fresh Basil
To make the Bolognese / Ragu
- Put the soya mince in a bowl covering with boiling water or stock and leave to soak for 10 mins. Tip: You can also add a dash of tamari or noodle broth to the water.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, frying the onion and garlic over a medium heat until starting to turn golden brown, then add the mixed herbs.
- Drain the soya mince through a sieve and rinse through with running water. Press and remove the water out with the back of a wooden spoon or your hands, then add it to the pan and stir fry for another two minutes.
- Add the passata, fill the empty bottle one third with water, swirl to rinse and add to the pan.
- Stir through the miso, then turn the heat right down, partially cover and leave to gently simmer for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time until reduced by about a third.
- Stir through the lemon juice or apple cider vinegar at the end of cooking and season with salt and pepper to taste. If using add the chilli flakes to taste.
To Make the Pasta Bake
- Cook the pasta for a minute less than the packet instructions (you want it nicely al dente for a pasta bake!), then drain, reserving a cup of the pasta water.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C
- Put the pasta in an ovenproof dish, add one ladle of Bolognese per person. Stir through. If needed loosen the mixture with some of the reserved pasta water so the sauce coats the pasta.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until piping hot, and the sauce has reduced.
- Serve garnished with seeds and fresh basil.