We just can't get enough of this healthy SUPER grain Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah), and it looks like we're not the only one. Growing in popularity this nutrient dense, high protein, high in fibre and naturally gluten-free grain can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Here's how to cook quinoa.
How to Cook Quinoa
Wondering how to cook quinoa? Follow these simple steps:
- Quinoa grain can be boiled in much the same way as rice, 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water.
- The easiest thing to do is to bring the water to the boil, then add the grain to the pot.
- Bring the water back to the boil and once bubbling place the lid on and turn the hob down to the lowest setting.
- Leave to simmer for 12-15 minutes.
Cooking Suggestion: Just before all of the water evaporates off, you can add 1 level tsp of Evergreen Organic Turmeric to add a vibrant golden colour to the dish.
Time Saving Tips: Batch Cook
Cook a big pot of quinoa. Allow it to cool and then store in an airtight container in the fridge. This allows you to save time later in the week when you can serve cold in a salad or add a portion to your stir-fry or curry dish
Being naturally gluten-free, this grain has become the most popular breakfast option for porridge for those looking to keep gluten to a minimum in their diets. You can directly substitute oat-flakes for quinoa flakes and cook to your own preferred consistency.
Superfood Porridge Recipe (GF/DF/SF)
Cook Flakes in water, milk or milk alternative (almond, coconut, rice) on the hob to your desired consistency.
- ¼ Tsp Evergreen Organic Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Nua Naturals Goji Berries
- 1 Tsp Evergreen Org Dessicated Coconut
- 1 Tsp Organic Nua Naturals Cacao Powder