We've another brilliant veggie recipe for you today. This one is an ideal snack, light lunch or starter recipe. This super simple recipe courtesy of Biona is for Quinoa, Black Bean & Vegetable Stuffed Mushrooms. They have a lovely spicy kick and have plenty of veggies in there too so are big on flavour and nutrients. Happy cooking!
Quinoa, Black Bean & Vegetable Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 tsp Biona Organic Coconut Oil
- 85g uncooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp Biona Organic Coconut Oil
- 200g Organic Butternut Squash – Diced
- 90g chopped red cabbage
- 150g Red Bell Pepper – Diced
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- ½ tsp sea salt (divided)
- 90g Biona Organic Black Beans (drained)
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 1-2 tbsp melted Biona Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Biona Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- ½ tsp ground cumin (divided)
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika (divided)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 145g Fresh Basil (stems removed)
- 25g Pine Nuts
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 30ml Biona Organic Lemon Juice
- 3-4 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- ¼ tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 30-45ml Biona Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 45-70ml water (more as needed)
1. Preheat oven to 200c and set out a rimmed baking sheet or a large baking dish.
2. If you don't have any cooked quinoa on hand, start by heating a saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tsp of Biona Organic Olive Oil and 1/2 cup (rinsed and drained) quinoa. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently and add 1 cup water and a pinch of salt.
3. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Then reduce the heat to simmer and cook until the liquid has mostly absorbed and the quinoa is tender ( approx. 15-18 minutes). Drain off any excess liquid if needed. Then set off the heat uncovered to let any excess moisture evaporate.
4. In the meantime, add mushrooms to a shallow baking or serving dish and season with oil, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and sea salt. Flip/toss to combine and set aside to let marinate.
5. Next, prepare vegetables by heating a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) oil or water, sweet potatoes, and bell pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes (covered) or until slightly browned, stirring occasionally.</li>
6. Add cabbage, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chili powder, and 1/4 tsp sea salt and sauté for another 3-5 minutes or until all vegetables (especially potato) are tender and slightly golden brown. Set aside.
7. Transfer vegetables from skillet to a large mixing bowl and set aside. Then, to the same skillet over medium heat, add the mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes on both sides to brown and soften. Cover to lightly steam for the final minute. Then transfer to a baking sheet face up and set aside.
8. To the mixing bowl with the vegetables, add cooked quinoa, drained black beans, remaining 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp sea salt, and lime juice and toss to combine.
9. Divide the filling between the mushrooms.
10. Bake at 210c for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms and toppings are hot and slightly browned.
11. Serve with fresh pesto and enjoy!