If you're after a bowl of nourishing stew to cosy up with on these colder evenings, look no further than this Mediterranean Chickpea Quinoa Stew Recipe by The Fuel Food Cookbook Author Oliver McCabe. It's the perfect winter warmer the whole family will love. Read on for full details of how to make this hearty dish!
Mediterranean Chickpea Quinoa Stew
Yields: 6 Portions
Prep Time: 15 Mins | Cook Time: 20 Mins
- 2 medium leeks
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan fine rock salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 400g can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 12 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 180g millet
- 350mls of water
- Cooked quinoa, to serve
- 80g vegan feta cheese, to garnish
1. Trim the leeks, slit them in half lengthwise and rinse well under running water to remove any grit. Coarsely chop the leeks.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low to medium heat. Add the leeks, sweet potato, coriander, cumin, fennel seed, salt and cayenne pepper.
3. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until the leeks are soft and sweet potato browned.
4. Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, olives and lemon zest and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, until the tomato sauce is very thick.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
7. Serve immediately over cooked quinoa, rice or bread and garnish with the feta cheese.
Inspired by this recipe? Then we think you’ll love this ‘Quinoa Salad with Toasted Pine Nuts and Pomegranate’ recipe.