If you're after a great vegan or vegetarian option for a get-together, our Vegan Nut Loaf is a winner. This Vegan Nut Loaf is full of flavour and is great for any dinner parties that may be coming up. And because it's plant based, it's also a brilliant option for anyone trying to eat a heart healthy diet thanks to lots of veggies, seeds and nuts. Read on for how to make this tasty and wholesome vegan nut loaf!
Heart Health Recipe: Vegan Nut Loaf
Yields: 4 portions | Cook Time: 45 Mins
- 60g Evergreen pine nuts
- 50g linseed
- 50g Evergreen sunflower seeds
- 100g Faugier chestnut puree
- 50g vegetarian suet
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Gluten free flour (for dusting)
For the Topping:
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 300g of sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 250g baby leaf spinach
- 1 ripe avocado
- 100g silken tofu
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- Lemon juice
- ¼ sweet potato
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 4. Spread the nuts and seeds on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 5 mins. Place in a food processor with the chestnut purée, suet and maple syrup and blitz together until it forms a ball.
2. Place a sheet of baking paper on counter top and place the dough from the processor on it. Sprinkle with plenty of gluten free flour and start to roll out the mixture using a rolling pin. Roll the dough as thin as possible (ideally thinner than 5mm).
3. Cut the dough to the size of your shallow baking tin and then transfer it to the tin using a spatula or fish slice. Prick the pastry all over with a fork, cover with baking paper and rice and blind bake for 12-15 mins. Allow to cool.
4. For the topping heat 1 tbsp. of rapeseed oil in a pan and sauté the mushrooms for 6-8 mins. Remove and leave aside.
5. Using the same pan, add the spinach and allow to wilt. Then blitz the spinach, avocado, tofu, nutmeg and one squeeze of lemon juice in the food processor until smooth.
6. Thinly slice the sweet potato and fry for 4-5 mins, until turning crisp.
7. Assemble the tart by spreading the spinach mixture over the cooled tart base. Place the mushrooms on top, then the sweet potato and finally scatter the remaining toasted pine nuts and sunflower seeds on top.
8. Can be enjoyed heated or at room temperature. Season to your liking with salt and cracked black pepper.