We're a big fan of the classic fruit cake here in Evergreen so we've put together the perfect recipe for an Easy Traditional Christmas Cake. Full to the brim of dried fruits like dates, figs and apricots and warm spices, it will be a big hit with anyone that pops by over the festive season! Read on for our Easy Traditional Christmas Cake Recipe.
Traditional Christmas Cake
Prep Time: 40 Mins | Cook Time: 3.5-4.5 Hours
- 1kg assorted dried fruit (dates, figs, pears, peaches and apricots)
- 150ml orange juice
- 250g vegetable margarine
- 250g sugar
- 150g plain soya yoghurt
- 250g flour
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp all spice
- Grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp brandy
1. Chop any larger dried fruits (dates, figs, pears, peaches and apricots). Mix together all the fruits and the orange juice, leave covered for 1-2 days stirring occasionally.
2. Line a 8” cake tin with oiled grease proof paper and preheat the oven to 160ºC.
3. Cream the margarine and sugar. Slowly beat in the soya yoghurt. Sift the baking powder into the flour, nutmeg and; all spice; fold it in. Gently stir in the soaked fruit, citrus rind and almonds. Pour into the tin and bake immediately for 3.5 to 4.5 hours (*times can vary depending on oven).
4. Cool in the tin. Once cooled remove it from the tin, turn it over and prick the base with a skewer, pour over the brandy. Wrap in greaseproof paper and store for 1-3 months in an airtight tin.