Fancy a healthy, nutritious breakfast option? Muesli is so handy to make - pop all the ingredients together in an airtight container and enjoy daily for brekkie. It's full of natural nutritional goodness. The recipe also contains a bircher muesli option which is soaked overnight. Read on for both the DIY Healthy Muesli recipe and the bircher version.
DIY Healthy Muesli Recipe
- 4 cups of rolled oats (use a gluten free option if you wish)
- 2 cups of rice flakes
- 2 cups of rye flakes or quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cups of sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup of flaxseed
- 1/2 cup of flaked almonds or chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of raisins or unsweetened cranberries
- 1/2 cup of unsulphered apricots
- 1/2 cup of coconut flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Bircher Muesli: Additional Ingredients
- 1/2 cup of apple juice
- 1/2 to 1 cup of water
- Squeezed lemon juice
- 1 apple cored and grated
- Handful of mixed berries
- Probiotic natural yoghurt/natural soya yoghurt to serve
1. To make traditional muesli, mix all of the listed ingredients together and store in an air tight container. Pour out portions from the container as needed and add a milk of your choice.
2. To prepare bircher muesli, place 2 cups of the muesli mixture in a bowl. Pour in the apple juice, water, lemon juice and mix. Cover and leave to soak for 30 minutes. Soaked grains are much easier to digest.
3. When the bircher muesli is ready to serve, grate the apple on top of the muesli and mix well. Serve topped with natural yoghurt and some fresh fruit such as mixed berries.