Biona's Easter Carrot Loaf Cake is the perfect Easter treat the whole family will love!
Serves: 10-12 | Prep: 25 mins | Cook: 1 hours
- 175ml Biona Organic coconut oil, melted
- 75g kefir
- 3 organic eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g self-raising flour
- 200g Organic coconut sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ fresh nutmeg, finely grated
- 200g carrots (about three), grated
- 100g Biona Organic sour cherries
- 100g pistachios, finely chopped
For The Icing
- 100g vegan baking spread
- 200g Icing Sugar
- 100g Full fat cream cheese
- Top with icing carrots (optional)
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Oil and line a 900g loaf tin with baking parchment. Whisk the oil, kefir, eggs and vanilla in a jug. Mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg with a good pinch of salt in a bowl. Squeeze any lumps of sugar through your fingers, shaking the bowl a few times to bring the lumps to the surface.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, along with the carrots, cherries and half the pistachios. Mix well to combine, then scrape into the tin. Bake for 1 hr 10 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If any wet mixture clings to the skewer, return to the oven for 5 mins, then check again. Leave to cool in the tin.
- To make the icing, beat the spread and sugar together until smooth. Add half the cream cheese and beat again, then add the rest (adding it bit by bit prevents the icing from splitting). Remove the cake from the tin and spread the icing thickly on top. Scatter with some of the remaining pistachios and icing carrots if using.