Today we're switching up the more traditional Bulgar Tabbouleh with buckwheat. This super healthy Buckwheat Tabbouleh recipe uses raw buckwheat groats (instead of bulgar wheat) to make a delicious, healthy dinner that is suitable for vegans and those on a gluten-free diet. This Middle Eastern dish is bursting with flavour and makes the perfect leftover lunch - so be sure to do extra!
Prep Time: 20 Mins | Cook Time: 30 Mins
- 1 cup Evergreen raw buckwheat groats
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups water and 1 bouillon cube)
- 2-3 cups fresh Italian or curly parsley, chopped finely
- 2 tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped finely
- 1 small carrot, chopped finely
- 2-3 green onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsps Clearspring extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
1. Place vegetable broth or water and bouillon cube in a medium sized pot and bring to a boil.
2. Add in the Buckwheat (or other grain) and reduce to simmer for about 20 minutes, or until tender.
3. Chop all the vegetables and herbs, place in a large bowl.
4. Drain the Buckwheat when cooked and mix with the vegetables and herbs.
5. Pour on the dressing, lemon juice and olive oil and stir well.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Leave for about 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Makes about 5-6 cups.