Porridge has many uses beyond breakfast.
Experiment with it during brunch or even dinner, accompanied by crusty bread to indulge in the delightful experience of crusty bread with oozy oozy egg dunkage.
For the porridge:
- 50g Amisa Gluten Free Pure Porridge Oats
- 250ml water or almond milk or mix of both.
- 1 tbsp white miso
For the mushrooms:
- Handful of chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp oil for frying
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Splash of tamari or soya sauce
- 1 poached egg
- Wilted spinach
- Fresh coriander
- Spring Onions, sliced
1. Place the oats in a pan with the water or milk on a medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time with a wooden spoon until all of the liquid has been absorbed and until you reach the consistency you like. When the porridge is done, stir through the miso.
2. Whilst the oats are cooking, heat a tsp of oil in a frying pan. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until they start to release their juices. Add the tamari and cook until all the liquid has gone. Move the mushrooms over to one side, then wilt the spinach down in the same pan.
3. Next poach the egg. Bring a pan of water to simmer. Stir the water to create a gentle whirlpool and slowly crack the egg into the centre. Cook for 3-4 minutes for a runny yolk. When cooked, lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
4. Pour the porridge into a bowl, add the mushrooms, spinach and a handful of fresh coriander. Top the bowl with the egg then sprinkle over the chopped spring onions and some chilli flakes, if you like. Enjoy!