Winter is the perfect time for stews galore and it doesn't get much better than this Tomato, Vegetable and Butter Bean Stew from Evergreen's Aideen Hurley. Packed full of wholesome ingredients, this hearty stew will warm you up nicely during these chillier days. To create this delicious vegan butter bean stew, you will need a number of ingredients. Luckily, many of them will probably already be in your kitchen and others can be bought online from Evergreen.ie. Read on for the full Tomato, Vegetable and Butter Bean Stew recipe.
Aideen's Tomato, Vegetable and Butter Bean Stew
Cook Time: 50 Mins
- 3 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp of mixed herbs
- 2 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tin of butter beans
- 1 medium sized red onion, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper and 1 red pepper, both chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 tsp of brown sugar
- 2 oz of creamed coconut
- 1 medium size sweet potato, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 courgettes, sliced thickly
- 8 mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 tin of organic chopped tomatoes
- 1 jar of tomato pureé
- A few grinds of black pepper
1. In a large pan (with a lid), heat the rapeseed oil and sauté the onions, mushrooms, garlic and mixed herbs together for a few minutes.
2. Add in the rest of the vegetables and cook with the lid on for a few minutes, stirring often.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato pureé and the butter beans (including the water). Ensure that the vegetables are covered.
4. Bring to the boil and then allow to simmer for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
5. If you choose to add the coconut cream, add it now. This will melt into the stew and bulk out the dish.