Looking for a comforting vegan curry to warm up your evening? This delicious vegan coconut & lentil lime dhal offers a wonderful mix of flavours including zesty lime, creamy coconut and the palate cleansing flavours of fresh coriander and mint leaves.
Dhal is a staple of the Indian vegetarian diet - its lentils will give you a protein boost and fill you up too (it's gluten-free as well FYI). It would work as a delicious main course, or can be served as a side dish - whatever you fancy. Here's how to make the tasty Vegan Coconut & Lentil Lime Dhal.
Vegan Coconut & Lentil Lime Dhal
- 250 grams split mung lentils (or any other lentils), rinsed well
- 440 millilitres coconut milk
- 6 chopped spring onions
- 1 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
- 1 bunch chopped coriander
- Juice and zest of a lime
- 4 leaves chopped kaffir lime
1. Fry the ground coriander, fresh ginger and spring onions in the coconut oil until sizzling and releasing a fantastic smell.
2. Stir in the lentils, add 250ml of water, and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add the coconut milk and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and add the lime zest and juice, lime leaves, coriander leaves and mint leaves, along with a pinch of salt.
5. Leave to stew for 15 minutes, before serving with rice or noodles.