You cannot beat the taste of fresh, homemade hummus, delicious with warm pitta bread or fresh crispy vegetables. A perfect vegan snack, the chickpeas deliver a protein punch to keep you fuller for longer. We've got the best hummus recipe around - keep scrolling for the full details.
Recipe: The Best Hummus
- 500g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- ¼ tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
1. Drain the chickpeas and place them in a pan of fresh water.
2. Add the bicarbonate of soda and bring to the boil, then continue to simmer on a low heat until the chickpeas are soft. You will need to skim the top of the water from time to time.
3. Drain the chickpeas and put a dessertspoonful of them to one side. Blend the rest of the chickpeas in a food processor, dropping in the ice cubes one by one. This method produces a wonderfully smooth texture and turns the hummus almost white.
4. Transfer the blended chickpeas into a bowl and add the tahini, cumin, garlic and lemon juice. If you would prefer a less nutty flavour you could reduce the tahini. You can also vary the consistency by adding a little more water to thin it.
5. Serve topped with the chickpeas put aside earlier.