The Leaping Bunny programme - run by Cruelty Free International - is regarded as a global gold standard for cruelty free cosmetics, personal care and household products. Their vision is to create a world where nobody wants or believes we need to experiment on animals an they do this by helping shoppers identify cruelty free products. Symbolised by the iconic Leaping Bunny logo which the approved brands display on their website and usually their products, the Leaping Bunny logo provides shoppers with the best assurance that products stand up to the global gold standard for cruelty free.
Cruelty Free International does the following:
- checks for brands conducting, commissioning or being party-to animal testing;
- requires a supplier monitoring system to be implemented by the brand;
- requires supply chain checking for animal testing right down to ingredient manufacturer level;
- requires adherence to a fixed cut-off date policy; and
- acceptance of ongoing independent audits to ensure compliance.
To become Leaping Bunny approved, brands:
- Must apply a fixed cut-off date, an immovable date after which neither the brand nor any of its suppliers and manufacturers may conduct, commission or be party to animal tests for raw materials or ingredients anywhere in the world. This applies for their entire supply chain down to ingredient manufacturer.
- Cannot have had any final product testing anywhere in the world after their fixed cut-off date.
- Must set up a continuous monitoring system to ensure all their suppliers and manufacturers comply with Leaping Bunny criteria and all products, raw materials and ingredients are checked for any new animal testing at least every 12 months.
- Must open up their monitoring system to regular independent audits (outside of Cruelty Free International) to check they continue to comply with their fixed cut-off date for all their products, including any new ones.